Sunday 26 August 2012



'Mafia'
Bevilaqua, Carlo (1900-1988)
This image entitled 'mafia', sourced from Bridgeman Education, was of instant interest to me, I'm not sure if it was the title of the image that caught my eye or the man in the image. I love the way it is lit, with the light catching the side of the sitter lighting his cheek. The unshaven chin, the rolled cigarette and the clothing give an image of a less fortunate individual until you look into the eye! Only one eye is visible, the other in shadow, the expression without looking at the eye could be mistaken as a happy state of mind but the glint in the eye leaves the viewer feeling as though he is looking straight into the eye of the viewer, with a sharp sense of purpose, hard, confident even though clearly an elderly gentleman, the large hands leaves me thinking that this was not a character to me crossed, he seems unaffraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment