Monday 27 August 2012


'Air raid shelter' Minorca, Spain 1937 Chim (1911-1956)
Sourced from Bridgeman Education. First impressions of this image at that it is a serious image, it feels 'worried' the children standing close together in a comforting way. Behind the children, the adults stay close, the distance from the camera make me feel like they need to keep a distance, to stay together in safety, they seem to move further back into the distance. The light cascades a protective crust surrounding them, the other side of the crust is darkness, unknown for those young faces, faces of the future with older faces keeping them safe.
I didn't realise when finding this image that Chim, in 1947, co-founded Magnum Photo's with Robert Capa and Henri Cartier-Bresson. Wow! what an interesting trio, I'm really looking forward to finding out more about these hugely influential photographers. I recently watched an hour long interview with Henri Cartier-Bresson, what in interesting character, he didn't want to accept praise or accolade. During the interview he said several times, 'I'm not a photographer, I am an anarchist' and 'you just need to know when to 'click''. I feel very excited when reading, searching, discovering anything about Magnum - Chim, Capa, Cartier-Bresson.

No comments:

Post a Comment